Top Employer company, Exxaro Resources, hosted its annual Sustainability Summit today in Lephalale – Limpopo Province. The prestigious event remains a strategic platform to celebrate the groups’ sustainability achievements and to reflect on its safety, health, employee wellness and environmental performance.
With over 5000 employees throughout the group.
Aligned with its Human Rights Policy – Exxaro strives to provide its employees and contractors with a safe and healthy work environment. The diversified mining and renewable energy solutions company also celebrated its 33 years Fatality Free milestone at its open-pit operation at Leeuwpan, 10 years Fatality Free milestone at its flagship operation at Grootegeluk, and its 6 years Fatality Free milestone at its underground operation Matla.
The 2023 Sustainability Summit theme focused on going back to the basics in operational safety, by eliminating repeat incidents through reinforcing the five strategic safety pillars in the workplace. These critical pillars include Incredible Leadership, Risk Management, Safety Communication, Safety Training and Consequence Management.
“We are constantly seeking innovative ways to enable a better and safe work environment for our people. Today we reminded our employees to always make every day count, as guided by our safety campaign - Khetha Ukhupheha,” said CEO, Dr Nombasa Tsengwa.
Another area of focus at the Summit was on climate change, which remains a critical and imperative topic in the mining industry and employees and partners were urged to play their part towards reducing Exxaro’s carbon footprint by 2050. Guest speakers and Exxaro’s leadership teams empowered employees and stakeholders to create an impact in the workplace and within their communities by demonstrating multiple ways to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Dr Tsengwa said, “Exxaro prides itself as a company that values its people holistically. To reach our 2050 carbon neutral goal, we need to start changing the way we live today.” In upholding it’s its Diversity, Equity and Inclusive strategy, Exxaro also partnered with over ten exhibitors to support communities equitably and responsibly through partnerships and development initiatives such as Kedithabitha - an agripreneur addressing land management in Lephalale and the Department of Forestry, Fisheries and Environment addressing Climate Change in Lephalale and South Africa at large.
Testament to the accomplishments achieved by Exxaro in the area of Sustainable Mining practices in 2022:
- Exxaro claimed second place Best Sustainability Reporting Award in the Metals & Mining category in the 2022 ESG Reporting Awards.
- Exxaro Resources has received a Transition Pathway Initiative (TPI) ranking of 4/4. This high score reflects the company’s commitment to managing greenhouse gas emissions and indicates to stakeholders and investors that Exxaro is in an excellent position to benefit from opportunities presented by the low-carbon transition.
- Exxaro sustained “A” rating and improved in the “E” (Environmental) category in the Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) ratings by Morgan Stanley Capital International (MSCI).
- Exxaro won an award for being a- fatality free business, as of 02 March 2022 (with 10 000 or more employees) at the COALSAFE 2022 conference held by the South African Colliery Managers’ Association (SACMA). This marked the third consecutive year which further verifies the impact of the company’s safety efforts towards its employees, host communities and the mining industry.
- Exxaro’s robust commitment towards a just transition has resulted in the organisation becoming the only basic resources company with an improved Environmental Social and Governance (ESG) rating of Level 4.0 in December 2022. According to the FTSE Russell ESG Index Ratings, Exxaro’s rating increased from 3.7 in December 2021 and 3.8 in June 2022.